Frequently Asked Questions

Degree Verifications

Why is The National Student Clearinghouse involved?
The FAS Registrar’s Office has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse to collect inquiries for verifications. If the data you provide can be confirmed then the verification is instantaneous. However, the staff of the Registrar’s Office manually verifies requests whenever there is incomplete or potentially erroneous information. Please allow 8-10 business days for processing if we have to request materials from University Archives on your behalf. 

Can I verify any Harvard University degree through this website?
No. The Faculty of Arts & Sciences Registrar’s Office can only verify degrees for alumni of Harvard College or the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. For inquiries about degrees from other schools, e.g. Harvard Law School, you will need to contact that school’s registrar’s office directly.

How much does it cost to verify a degree?
There is an $13 processing surcharge. 

What information is required in order to obtain a degree verification?
The more information you offer the more likely we are to find the match: full name, University ID number, degree awarded (example AB or PhD), dates of attendance, field of concentration.

Will the verification have the seal of Harvard University on it?
No, but it is still considered an official verification of your degree.

Is a verification from the National Student Clearinghouse official?
Yes. The National Student Clearinghouse is authorized to provide these on behalf of Harvard College and the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. 

Can I contact the Registrar’s Office to verify a degree over the phone?
To better service all of our constituents all verifications are handled through the National Student Clearinghouse.

See also: Audience


Who can order a transcript?
Any current or former student at Harvard College or the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences can order a transcript through our office via Credentials Inc.

How much does a transcript cost?
$9- Electronic Transcript

$11- Mailed Transcript

Can I get an electronic version of my transcript?
Yes Electronic Transcripts are available.

Can I get an unofficial version of my transcript?
Students may access an unofficial, PDF version of the transcript by clicking here. An unofficial transcript does not use the University paper and does not include the Registrar’s signature, but this PDF version is often acceptable to use when applying for internships, fellowships, and graduate school online.

Why do you require my consent to send out my transcript?
The regulations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA, 1974) require us to obtain your signed consent before releasing your academic record. The law and ensuing policy is in place for your protection. As such, you can trust that no third party will be able to see your academic record without your consent.

How long will it take my order to be processed?

Electronic transcript requests are processed immediately once the order is authorized. 

Paper transcript requests are processed 1-2 business days after the order is authorized. 

Hold for Pick up transcript requests are processed and printed 1 business day after order is authorized.
Pickup is at: 1350 Massachusetts Ave, Suite 450.Office of the Registrar.

How many transcripts can I order at a time?
You can order up to 5 transcripts per individual Credentials Inc order.

What happens if I place my order during a weekend or holiday?
All electronic transcript requests are processed 7 days a week. Paper transcript requests are processed Monday through Friday only. Paper transcript requests placed on a weekend or holiday will be processed on the following working business day. 

What happens if my transcript gets lost in the mail? 
The FAS Registrar’s Office is not responsible for the mail delivery. If your order gets lost or returned then you will need to place a new request via Credentials Inc. No refunds will be provided. To ensure delivery we suggest sending your transcript through FedEx so you will have a tracking number and be able to confirm delivery.

How long will you hold my transcript if I ask for it to be held for pick-up?
We will hold transcripts for pick-up at the front desk of our office at 1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 450 for 90 days. After 90 days you will need to submit a new order.

What if I need to include a document with my transcript?
You can digitally scan and upload an electronic copy of any form you need to have included with your transcript, through the Credentials Inc ordering form. As part of your transcript order, you will need to enter your LSAC or AMCAS account number.

Can I order a transcript if I never received my degree?
Any student of Harvard College or the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences who has satisfied their financial obligation to the University may order a transcript of their academic record.

Can I order a transcript if there is a financial hold on my record?
No. You must satisfy your financial obligation to the University before we can release your transcript.

Will you hold my request, e.g. until final grades come in? 
No. Transcripts are processed in real time and we do not have the capacity to hold requests. Your academic record at the time of your request is what will be printed on your transcript. Current students can verify which grades and courses are available on their transcript by viewing their unofficial transcript.

How do I get a transcript if I graduated before 1981? 
You will still send your request to us through Credentials Inc. Sometimes we are able to generate your transcript from the records we keep at The Registrar’s Office but sometimes we have to requisition older files from University Archives before we can send the transcripts. If this is the case with your transcript, you will receive an email indicating that we are obtaining your record from archives.

See also: Audience

AP Scores

How are AP, IB, SAT, SATII, ACT or other tests used during the Admissions process?
Please check the Admissions Office website. If the site does not answer your question(s), please contact the Admissions Office at 617-495-1551. The Admissions phone line closes at 4:00pm on Wednesdays.

How do AP and IB scores work with Advanced Standing at Harvard?
Please view the Office of Undergraduate Education website for details regarding scores and Advanced Standing.

How do I make sure that Harvard receives my AP and IB test scores?
You must have an OFFICIAL test score report sent to Harvard. Contact the College Board and have your scores sent to Harvard (3434). The self-reported scores used during the Admission process will NOT be added to your official student record. The College Board will charge a fee to have your scores resent to Harvard.

I took AP tests over multiple years, how do I make sure Harvard receives all of my AP scores?
When requesting a score report to be sent to Harvard, inform College Board that you took AP tests over multiple years. Also, inform College Board if you have had a name or address change. 

FAQ Term: 

College Requirements

How do I change my concentration?

Students can change their concentration online via 

How can I waive a certain Core or General Education requirement based on my study abroad credits?

When the study abroad credits are visible on your student record, please email send an email to indicate what course/which GenEd requirement you want would like to waive. If your study abroad credits are not on your student record, contact the Office of International Programs

Enrollment Certifications

Where can I get an Enrollment Certification? 

Certificates of Enrollment are now available to active students in their my.Harvard account. Please log in to using your HarvardKey credentials. The certificate of enrollment is located in the Documents tab of your Student Home page. You must ensure that your browser allows pop-ups as an active pop-up blocker will prevent your document from opening.

Can I confirm the enrollment of anyone at Harvard through this website?
No. The Faculty of Arts & Sciences Registrar’s Office can only confirm enrollment for students of Harvard College or The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. For inquiries about students from other schools, e.g. Harvard Law School, you will need to contact that school’s registrar’s office directly.

Is this an official enrollment certification?
Yes. This enrollment certificate is an official certification.

What if I need a form filled out by the Registrar’s Office to confirm my enrollment?
Please email and include a scanned copy of the form as an attachment to your email. Provide as much detail as possible in the email about what information is needed and where it should be sent. A representative of the Registrar’s Office will complete the form and send it out within 2-3 business days. 

What if I need a confirmation of my enrollment on Harvard letterhead?
The electronic enrollment certificate found on your my.Harvard account is sealed with the Harvard watermark. We do make exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Please email detailing the reason for your request and a representative of the Registrar’s Office will provide you with further instructions. Please provide as much detail as possible in the email about what information is needed and where it should be sent.

How much does it cost to confirm someone’s enrollment?
There is a processing surcharge for third party enrollment verification requests through the National Student Clearinghouse. If you are a parent seeking enrollment confirmation on behalf of your child please have them log in to their my.Harvard account to access their enrollment certificate so there will be no charge.

How much does it cost to confirm my own enrollment?
This services is free of charge for current students who log in to their my.Harvard account. Alumni should order an official transcript or a degree verification if they need to confirm past enrollment.

Who do I contact if I need a certification for loan deferment?
Please email the National Student Clearinghouse at or call at 703-742-4200.

All other questions should be directed to


When will the final exam schedule be posted?
The fall Final Exam Schedule will be posted in mid-September. The spring final exam schedule will be posted in mid-February.

How can I determine when my exam is likely to take place before the exam schedule is posted?
Most courses are assigned a numeric Exam and Student Deadline Group, which is listed with course information in the my.harvard course search. The Exam and Student Deadline Groups in the Undergraduate Student Handbook list each exam group and the corresponding exam date. All students are advised that they should not make any travel plans until the official Final Examination Schedule is published in mid-September. Students are expected to be in residence for the duration of the Final Examination Period. 

I have two exams scheduled for the same time on the same date. How do I resolve this?
If you have two FAS exams scheduled at the same time on the same date, the Registrar's Office is aware of the conflict and will automatically schedule an out of sequence exam for one of the courses--a non-conflicting time within 24 hours of the original time and date. You will receive an email notification with the details of your rescheduled exam from the Registrar's Office by the last day of classes.

I have two exams scheduled back-to-back on the same day. Can one of the exams be moved to a different date?
Please note that having two exams scheduled on the same day at different times (i.e. one in the morning and one in the afternoon) is not considered a conflict. Exams will not be rescheduled in this case.

I am an FAS student cross-registered for a course at another school (or I am a graduate student cross-registered for a course at FAS) and my FAS exam conflicts with the final exam date for the other course. How do I resolve this?
If you have a conflict between an FAS exam and an exam at another school (HBS, HLS, MIT), notify the Registrar's Office of the conflict (

FAQ Term: 

FAS Classrooms

Where are FAS classes meeting? Where and when will the FAS course classroom schedule be made available?
The FAS Registrar posts a Course Meetings Location Report, refreshed daily during the enrollment period. The FAS Registrar tracks course classroom assignments for all courses under the 300/3000 level. The Report includes discussion section and event assignments that take place in Registrar classrooms only. For information on any offered course without a meeting time and room location, contact the course's department.

How do I reserve a classroom for my FAS course?
The FAS Registrar coordinates classroom assignments with the academic departments. Contact the home department administrator of the course. The administrator submits a classroom request to the appropriate scheduler and notifies the FAS Registrar of the course's meeting time and location. For discussion sections and events contact the appropriate room scheduler. To reserve a classroom in the FAS Registrar's inventory, please use the online form found on Roombook. The FAS Registrar schedules approximately 30% of the classrooms in the FAS inventory. The remainder is scheduled by the various departments, center, and houses. A list of FAS Classrooms and contact information for schedulers is located on the Instructional Media Services' website.

How do I reserve media equipment?
For information on media equipment and services visit the Instructional Media Services website. Below are the email addresses and phone numbers to contact Instructional Media Services.


FAQ Term: 
See also: FAS Classrooms

How to I make sure the Advising Committee for my department is up to date?

Roles in my.harvard typically expire on June 30, or December 31. It is the responsibility of the Department Administrator to give new leadership or staff access to my.harvard or renew the appointments for existing members of the Advising Committee roster. This includes roles such as: Department Chairs; Directors of Studies; Head Tutors; Program Administrators; Dept Administrators.  Department Administrators should review overall access at least once per term to ensure access continuity. Please visit How to Update Advising Committees in the my.harvard Knowledge Center. 

I am cross-registered at MIT but want to drop my course. What do I need to do to drop it?

If you are cross-registered at MIT, please make sure to drop the course in both my.harvard and contact to drop the course in WebSIS at MIT – you will not be able to drop courses directly from WebSIS. Once you receive instructor permission from the MIT instructor, you are automatically enrolled for the course - there is no course preview period at MIT. Please keep in mind that students must follow whichever school's add/drop deadline is earlier.

I checked in, but there is still a hold on my record.

There are a variety of holds that can prevent you from enrolling in courses but not from checking-in. View instructions in the IT Help Center.

You can select the To-Do items in my.harvard to learn more about each hold. You must resolve your hold with the office that initiated it. For example, if you have a UHS hold you must contact University Health Services directly to address the hold.

Here is a description of the more common holds you may encounter:

  • Advising: This is a hold that requires you to meet with your advisor before enrolling in courses. Your advisor releases this hold in order to virtually sign your study card.
  • Term Bill: If you have a balance on your student account you will need to pay the full amount in order to have this hold removed. If you are anticipating financial aid to be disbursed you may wish to contact your financial aid officer.
  • UHS/Immunization: University Health Services places and removes holds for students needing to provide documentation of their immunization records.
  • International Office: International students may be required to visit the Harvard International Office before enrolling. This office will remove the hold once you have visited them.

Learn more about the check-in process.

I haven't enrolled in 16 credits because I am waiting to cross register at another school. Should I register for a filler course?

To avoid being charged a late registration fee, please make sure that you are enrolled in at least 8 credits by the deadline if you are awaiting approval for some of your courses. If you are registered for fewer than 8 credits you will be charged $40 per week and risk being put on an involuntary Leave of Absence.

Please do not register for a filler course at FAS if you are waiting to cross-register – it is important for the Registrar's Office to have an accurate sense of the enrollment for each course so we can finalize classroom assignments. 

I submitted a petition for a change of grading basis but I’ve changed my mind. What do I do?

If the petition is still in pending status, you may cancel your petition in the Document Center page in my.harvard by clicking "View prior submissions."   

Once the petition is approved, you cannot submit another petition to reverse the decision. Please contact FAS Registrar directly at for assistance. Please note that the deadline to request a grading basis change is the Fifth Monday.