Name Changes, Preferred Names, Gender Pronouns, Gender Marker

How do I change my name on student records? 
You may change your official name on the student record once you have legally changed your name by completing this form and attaching supporting documentation. You may change your chosen name at any time via my.harvard. If you need a diploma or transcript showing your preferred name please visit our office on the 4th floor of the Smith Campus Center or email us at If you have concerns about your gender identity matching your credentials but have not changed your legal name please check in with the Registrar's Office for assistance.

How can I use my chosen name on my degree?
You may update your chosen name at any time on my.harvard by clicking on the pencil next to your name in the personal information tab. 

Will faculty and staff see my chosen name and pronouns on my.harvard?
Yes. Faculty and staff will see only your preferred first name on my.harvard now and on course rosters by Spring 2016. If you provided gender pronouns those will also be visible on my.harvard now and on course rosters by Spring 2016. We make this information available to other users of student information, but it is up to those other offices to take this information and to make it available in their systems. Therefore, some places that access student information may draw on official name rather than preferred first name. Should you have any concerns or issues with this process please contact Mike Burke, Registrar, to discuss options.

Who has access to my legal name? 
We make preferred name available to other offices but it is their responsibility to manage their information systems. This means that some offices may use your official name in lieu of your preferred name. However, faculty and staff with access to my.harvard and course rosters will only see your preferred first name and official last name. Administrative users in our office and offices such as the Housing Office can view all names. If you have questions or concerns please contact Mike Burke, Registrar, to discuss options.

Can my Harvard ID reflect my chosen name?
At this time only the official name can appear on the HUID card. However your official name can be derivative of your legal name (e.g. initials as opposed to the full name). Contact the Registrar's Office for this option. The reason that Harvard Campus Services requires legal name is because they need to verify a student's legal identity when issuing a Harvard ID card and the name has to match your government-issued identification. If you have concerns about this from a gender identity perspective please contact either Mike Burke, Registrar, to discuss options.